Monday 14 June 2010

Dont Think just do

Ok so driving in Jojga may not be the safest of places to drive but I have been successfully driving my motorbike for a couple of months now, and touch wood I haven't had a problem yet. I was driving yesterday in total mayhem and i started to think how the hell have I not had an accident?! I mean if you have seen these roads then you know that its total craziness.

So here are my top tips in order to survive the roads of Jogja or anywhere else in Indonesia.

1. Do not at any time be polite and let people go in front of you, or come out of a street- just charge on.
2. Consider cars the enemy, they beep, they are faster and bigger- We hate them.
3. Don't get yourself stuck behind a bus, coach or becak, if you do expect to use your brakes every second.
4. If coming out of a small street onto a main road, don't stop just go go go, even if you can see lots of traffic they will move.
5. Have no fear of being nearly squished by a lorry and a coach on either side of you. It always works out.
6. Make sure your mirrors are positioned to see the sky and not the road, or better yet- don't use your mirrors at all- just swerve into the lane and hope nobody is in your way.

Ok so I am being super English and using amples of sarcasm here, because here in Indonesia well my sarcasm isn't understood... So i am applying lashings of it here.

Although totally dangerous, driving my motorbike gives me a real sense of freedom, I truly enjoy riding around with the wind blowing in my face. It makes me proud that I have learned something else here, how to ride the roads with confidence.

Everything else fine over here, just plodding along doing what I do. My job is going well, my health better and my social life 100% better, I now have friends that i trust and care about( and who sometimes get my humor too). Guitar lessons are going well, I am now in process of learning a whole song- Its a really cool Indonesian song called Pelan Pelan saja- Slow Slow only( not a great direct translation). I hope one day i can play and sing at the same time, that's my ultimate goal.

Okelah gotta go!

Niketa xxx

4 comments:

  1. Riding mopeds was one of my favourite things to do too, can't beat that wind in your face! Even better without a helmet but I wouldn't recommend that.

    Please be careful though, it is still super dangerous, just drive slow and enjoy the scenery!

    Kieran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha thanks, oh no I would never drive without a helmet.... He he...

    Hati Hati!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa be careful!! a man crashed at me once when i still drove motorcycle!!
    wish i can see u when u drive :B

    yesika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fab! But your independance is not to be gained at any cost, still be very, very, very careful (said in big sister tone) xx

    ReplyDelete