Sunday 9 May 2010

Life in Indonesia seems to be flying by, I have been here now for 6 months, half a year already gone. Everyday I am becoming more accustomed to Indonesian culture and traditions. I spent my first birthday over here in Indonesia last week, turning 24 does not really fill me with joy, I feel older and I don’t like it. Yes I know in the grand scheme of things 24 is young, but to me I feel like I have experienced so much in my life (good and bad) that turning 24 is not so enjoyable, it was made even worse by the fact that I had to stay at home as I had a chest infection- so all in all a pooey birthday!

I should really make myself some resolutions for the next year, little targets which I can work towards, but well that’s just not really me… you could say I am a little lazy.

I have a new little part time volunteer position at a school close to my house, where I go in and read to all the elementary students there. On my first day there I thought I would be reading to a small select group of maybe around 10 students, but how wrong I was as when I arrived there, I was given a microphone and shown the room full of around 70 students, so that scared me a little bit. However getting over the initial shock I actually found myself enjoying it- it gives me a chance to act and make a complete fool of myself whist I also try to be 10 different characters whom all have 10 different voices- So that takes two early mornings a week.

My guitar lessons are progressing slowly… I mean really slowly… Not me but my fingers, however much I try my fingers just don’t want to move fast, so they proceed in a slow manner which makes my music sound stilted and shit! Ah well I will keep trying. Funny thing is that my teacher wants me to play in this event that my music school is holding. There is no way I can do that I have only had 3 lessons and I don’t think I have improved at all- I kindly say.. Mas Nggak Bisa, belum siap. Saya nggak pede. Saya malu mas! Ha ha- Which means… Friend I cant! I am not ready! I am not confident, I am shy!

Thankfully my Bahasa Indonesian is improving partly to my confidence increasing, of course I am not fluent and wont be anytime soon, but I can hold a conversation and understand maybe 50% of what people are saying, if they speak SLOW SLOW SLOW… PELAN PELAN PELAN! I do sometimes get my confidence knocked when people simply don’t want to try and listen to me, and automatically say they don’t understand me even when I haven’t said anything- I find that a little rude and offensive, but overall Indonesian people are real friendly and happily help me mumble and stumble my way into a conversation.

I have to admit I am starting to feel really homesick, there are moments when I just want to jump on a plane and go back home, go back to where everything is easy for me, but of course I am not going to do that… Just moments on insanity!

Before I came here, I though it would be easy to make friends etc, but its not. I suppose its always to make great friends that truly understand you and get u. I find making male friends the hardest, as I am always worried that they may want something more than friendship. That’s not because I think I am beautiful or amazing, it’s just how it is here. I have always got on better with guys over girls…. They just get me better, my sense of humour and I love bantering….but I am not stressing over the friend situation as I am pretty busy so it will happen when fate decides it wants it to happen.

Untuk teman ku yang orang Indonesia, saya nggak bisa menulis Bahasa Indonesia karena itu susah bagi saya. Mungkin dalam satu tahun saya bisa. Tapi untuk sekarang saya bisa menulis Bahasa inggris aja. Saya harap kamu mengerti sedikit, atau kamu bisa Tanya aku dan aku akan coba tolong kamu! Ha ha ( English friends this is for Indonesian friends only)

Oke gonna go, miss everybody!

3 comments:

  1. wah, your indonesian is so nice! :) saya paham seluruh kalimatnya! :D

    saya harap kamu tidak malu untuk berteman dan tetap semangat! boleh rindu rumah namun di sini juga rumah kamu!

    xoxo :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds soooo cool big sis haha :D im working alot at the minute and saving up so may be going to bali in august so may just meet up with you when im there x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post some pictures...post some pictures! Not of you though!xx

    ReplyDelete